Adoni has undergone a number of substantial changes over the past few centuries. Emerging as a
military base for the Vijayanagara Empire in the 15th century, the city has evolved to become a
modern, manufacturing hub. Under the Vijayanagara, the city stood at the center of the consolidating of
a shifting, fragmented countryside into a more disciplined, structure empire. Even after the Empire
fell in the 16th century, as a product of military conflicts, the city remained a core part of Southern
In the wake of the shift, the Yadava caste became the dominant cultural
force in the city with strong Vaishnavism Hindi influence. As a result,
the city became known as Yadavagiri for centuries, until cultural changes
led the population to adopt Islam in the following centuries. The city largely
lacked organized self-rule until the mid 19th century, when the city organized
a Municipal Council to give it a formal governing structure.
Adoni was under Bijapur in the period of 16th and 17th century. The people of almost
every religion are present in Adoni, almost every language is spoken in Adoni.
In 1867 AD, The Adoni Municipal Council was created, along with the Bellary Municipal Council.
These were the only two municipal townships in the whole of Bellary district for a long time.
On October 1, 1953, Bellary district of Madras State was divided on linguistic basis, and Adoni
(along with Yemmiganur, Alur, Raayadurgam, D.Hirehaalu, Kanekallu, Bommanahaalu, and Gummagatta)
were merged into Anantapuram and Kurnool district in what would later became the Andhra Pradesh
Of historical interest are the ruins of a royal fort dating back to the medieval kingdom of
Vijayanagar, which flourished from the 14th to the 16th century. Several Persian and Arabic
inscriptions which throw light on various aspects of historical interests are found here.
Muslims later controlled it until 1792, when a war between the British East India Company
and Tippu Sultan resulted in its cession to the Nizam of Hyderabad. Under British rule Adoni
was in Bellary district of Madras state presidency.